Strange Maps hits yet another one out of the ballpark with The United Countries of Baseball. The map shows the loyalty base of teams across America.
There are a few geographical/cultural changes that one could argue
- Nobody in Florida supports the Devil Rays. Its all Marlins with a small Braves loyalty base leftover from the pre-expansion era.
- Royals have lost much support to the Cardinals and others due to poor performance
- Ditto the Rangers and Astros
- The Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Superior, has always been closer to Wisconsin sports teams rather than Detroit's sports teams.
- The Rockies tend to be liked all throughout the American Mountain West
On the other hand note how Pittsburgh and Saint Louis' support extends deep into the South. I'm sure Deaner of Blue-Collar Baseball agrees.